Loaded Question: Is it Worth It?

Saturday, October 10, 2009


I came across a loaded question as a comment to this post. I'm sorry, I usually answer questions right away but unfortunately, this one was way too heavy for a quick response. I've got some time this morning so here goes:
Question:
Hello!
I've just recently discovered Goccos, and obviously am lusting after one. I was thinking of purchasing a used one somewhere, or having a friend in Japan search one out, but now I'm worried... what is the future of supplies? Will I just get addicted only to find myself unable to obtain screens and bulbs before too long, and I regret spending money on ebay or on the cost of shipping from Japan? In short, given the cost of these machines at this point, is this a bad investment?
Thanks! -Anon.
Answer:
Dear Anon-
I think it depends on your definition of the word "investment." For one person, paying a couple-hundred dollars for art supplies is part of a business. They might stamp out 100 prints in their first go and sell each one for $50. Investment recouped. Even if it's simply for the sake of learning or a creative hobby, there is inherent value in that. How much is too much can only be answered by you. A few years ago, my husband spent several hundred dollars on bicycle repair parts and lessons. In the end it would have been much cheaper to simply "pay the pros" to fix his 10-year-old bike, but he found enjoyment in that learning process, rolling up his sleeves and getting his hands dirty, literally. If you are someone who tends to buy gadgets that aren't ever used, then no, buying a Gocco is surely not a good investment for you, BUT it's people like that (in my opinion) who will keep Gocco alive for quite some time. I'm guessing that supplies will long be available on sites like Ebay and Craig's list because of those gadget-getters, people who decide to jump in on a whim, never to open that box for reasons of fear or time-constraints or maybe pure laziness. Who knows? I'm not sure how many households currently have shelved Gocco supplies but judging from the masses of Japanese families who used Gocco over the past 30 years, I'd venture to guess that supplies will be around for a while.

So, as you can tell, there is no real answer to your question I can hand to you. You have to decide for yourself. If you take the plunge, and regret your decision, there's always Ebay :)
Fondly,
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment